Creation of Staff Portal – Grey Lynn School

Home Forums Streamline organisation with a portal site Creation of Staff Portal – Grey Lynn School

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Rob Clarke
      Keymaster

Hi @bschollumgreylynn-school-nz and @afalegreylynn-school-nz,

I’ve created your staff portal which is available here.

So far I’ve completed these steps in the set up:

1. Created the site in your system.
      2. Created the Staff Notices Google Group. In doing this, I’ve upgraded your Groups service to ‘Groups for Business’ which has more functionality and is more powerful than the default app. You are both ‘owners’ of this group which means you have full administrative control over it. I’ve linked the notices up to the home page of the portal so you can see notices flow in once it is completed.
      3. Altered the footer.
      4. Invited you both to it as owners – this means you can change anything on it.

Next steps:

1. Can you decide what you want to call it and what URL staff will type in, eg. staff.greylynn.school.nz is the general recommendation, but you could choose kite.greylynn.school.nz or another term if you like. Let me know…
      2. I’ve downloaded your school logo which is square in shape. I need to know the school vision so I can create a rectangular one for this portal (which we can put into your G Suite system also if you want). If this is done it will appear at the top instead of the Google logo. Would you let me know what this is?
      3. Do you have an internal staff calendar? If so, who is the owner of this and can you share it with [email protected] so I can access it and embed it on the portal? It may be that this calendar needs shifting to a non-human user such as the admin@… account.
      4. Share the Staff Shared Files Google Drive folder with admin@… we can leverage this area on the portal nicely.

That’s all for now, please use this forum to respond with questions/answers and let’s see how we go.

@robclarke
       😉

• This topic was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Rob Clarke.
      • This topic was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Rob Clarke.
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Rob – sorry bit tardy with this as it went to spam……….. will confer with Andrea and get back to you asap.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Here is our school vision…

GREY LYNN SCHOOL SHARED VISION

At Grey Lynn School, everyone and their ideas are valued and respected by all.  We have respect for others, the environment and ourselves.  A positive environment where everyone feels safe to say what they feel is evident.  We respect others’ ideas and opinions and ensure everybody has a voice.  Tikanga Maori Principles are embedded in our values and practices.  They support community, confidence, questioning and create a philosophy of acceptance.

We are all able to take risks.  We see mistakes as an opportunity to learn.  We know why learning is important and we are open to feedback, even when it is hard to hear.  There is alignment through the school in the way feedback is given and received.  We are able to show resilience if a mistake is made and learn from these as we move towards becoming lifelong learners.  This helps us achieve a positive attitude and strong sense of self-belief.

Grey Lynn School builds positive relationships.  There is strong collaboration between students, parents and the community.  We are inclusive and celebrate cultural diversity, as evident in our celebrations.  We value our partnerships.

We believe all children can make progress regardless of their circumstances.  Everything we do is child centred.  We have high expectations.  Our students are involved in school decision-making.  Our assessment practices are regular and meaningful.  We make sure children and their parents know where they are on their learning journey.  Teaching and learning is authentic, purposeful and personalised.  Our children know whey they are learning and we equip them for the future, as 21st century learners.

Our staff are passionate and want to be here.  At Grey Lynn School, we walk the talk.  Staff feel they are safe, secure, happy and supported which enables them to be open to new learning.  There is an emphasis on effective professional development and the opportunity to process and practice new or developing skills.  Our mentoring system means our leaders are scaffolded to ensure success.

Visitors to our school will see individuals who are clear of expectations, take personal responsibility and are passionate.  Together we ensure trust, honesty and loyalty are central to our school culture.  An environment of inclusiveness and celebration of our diversity is woven through the fabric of Grey Lynn School.

23rd January 2015

Anonymous
      Inactive

Our suggestion for the name is staffportal.greylynn.school.nz – what do you think?

I’ve sent the vision above.  I’ve shared the staff calendar with admin@greylynn.  Bill is the owner of the calendar so we’re just figuring out how to transfer ownership to admin@.  And we’ve shared the google drive with admin@.

Rob Clarke
      Keymaster

Thanks @bschollumgreylynn-school-nz for this – do you have an image or logo you can flick me which I can implement into your portal?

If you’d let me know who the domain registrar is, or give me the contacts of the company that manages it I’ll get the DNS records changed.

Rob 😉

Anonymous
      Inactive

Our registrar is Discount domains but the contact is Arron Edwards [email protected] ph 07 9288867 as the contact to manage the domain (see https://dnc.org.nz/whois/greyl ynn.school.nz for full details).  I sent this in an email to you a while ago – maybe it didn’t attach….

About changing the ownership of the calendar to admin@:   we’ve looked at it with our tech guy Richard, and as I’ve given admin@ permission to manage and change settings on the calendar we think that should be sufficient for you to do what you need.  Richard said that changing ownership would mean having to export the calendar, then create a whole new one in admin@ and then have to re-share it etc which seems unnecessary if admin@ already has the same rights as Bill as the owner anyway.

I’ve added our logo – not sure if you want a png or jpg so I’ve added both.  Also have it as pdf if you need it?

Rob Clarke
      Keymaster

Thanks for this information.

Our suggestion for the name is staffportal.greylynn.school.nz – what do you think?

I think either staffportal or just staff is fine. It needs to be memorable for staff, so I’ve asked Arron to make both and you can choose which you think best.

I’ve shared the staff calendar with admin@greylynn.  Bill is the owner of the calendar so we’re just figuring out how to transfer ownership to admin@.  And we’ve shared the google drive with admin@.

I can do this for you. The reason I suggest it is not held in an individuals’ account is that it might cause issues if/when that individual leaves the school. It is a quick job for me to do this, and as you rightly say it will need to be re-shared to staff so I’ll take a note and re-share it once you are happy with the approach.

Perhaps we can touch base on Friday quickly to look at where we are at/etc.? I’ll send some options for you to choose.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Ok all sounds good.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar