Google Sites – how to add a favicon

Home Forums Website Management Google Sites – how to add a favicon

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Rob Clarke
      Keymaster

The new Google Sites has just released the ability for users to update the favicon. This is a good practice to do with your websites because it affects usability.

Learning Architects faviconA favicon is an icon associated with a particular website which is displayed in the address bar of a browser or next to the site name in a user’s list of bookmarks. It helps usability dramatically because when people have multiple tabs open, it provides a simple visual image to identify the site you are on.

It also shows up when you create a bookmark of the site – you’ll notice the Learning Architects favicon on this website, as well as our public website.

This image shows you where to go in your Google Sites to add a favicon. It accepts these files types: JPEG, PNG, GIF, ICO, TIFF, BMP, or WEBP file. The good thing about this is you don’t have to resize the image before uploading, the Site does this for you.

Google Sites - how to add a favicon

If you want further reference, visit this page in Google’s Help Center…

Emma Riddell
      Participant

Morena Rob,

I was so excited to see this post – I have just made a site for out BOT to replace WIKIspaces…but… this is what I see when I follow the instructions, now I’m gutted – do you have any thoughts…?

Cheers 🙂

Rob Clarke
      Keymaster

Oh yes, it’s most likely being rolled out in a staged way, which is normal really.

Google has two public ‘streams’ for releasing new features: Rapid and Scheduled Release.

It will be likely to appear over the next week for you, it’s working for another client of mine in Auckland, so could be a propogation delay.

I’ll place the release timing into future posts so it is clear 😉

Rob

Emma Riddell
      Participant

Thanks – I feel better knowing that 🙂

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar