OR function using reference of text as part of a sentence

Home Forums Google Sheets & Forms OR function using reference of text as part of a sentence

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Fiona Bellinger
      Participant

Using the formula =(IF(RegExMatch(AS2,”Invalid”),”CHECK”,””)), which is fine when I only have one cell to check if contains required word.  However now need to check multiple cells (AS2, AW2, BA2).  OR function works when its just that one word, but is part of an merge sentence outcome.

Its probably simple, but…

Fiona

• This topic was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Rob Clarke.
      Rob Clarke
      Keymaster

Hi Fiona,

I wonder if you can search according to a phrase using OR…? So to clarify your question, are you asking:

‘How do I use the OR function to search for a phrase (or series of words)?’

…is that right?

Rob

Fiona Bellinger
      Participant

Correct – added Spreadsheet as a search word as a lot of the answers relate to DOC as its not reading OR in the appropriate manner.  Still trying to work it out.

Fiona

Emma Riddell
      Participant

Hi Fiona (and Rob)

Have you built your own Regex expressions? I haven’t used them before, but have just spent the morning so far watching tutorials! I’m really intrigued and want to know what you use them for? I am seeing (possibly) how useful they would be for analysing open question parent/student voice surveys etc.

Sorry, I know this isn’t answering your question, but…

Fiona Bellinger
        Participant

Hi Emma,

This is the only Regex expression I have built – very much trial and error and watching tutorials….

A colleague uses a mail merge spreadsheet to automatically produce and email letters.  Unfortunately she doesn’t pick up when there is an error and the merge doesn’t work or send.  I use this expression to locate the word INVALID in amongst all the automatic document merge status (ie: Document successfully merged; !!Error Sending Emails: Invalid email: <xxx Email>>; Manually run by [email protected]; Timestamp: Sep 20 2017 9:51 PM) , which results in the cell turning red and the work CHECK flash up.

Fiona

Fiona Bellinger
      Participant

The cells are automatically filled in based on the type of merge document I am using.  Merge letter 1 creates one set of columns, merge letter 2 creates a second set, Merge letter 3 a third set etc (Tho we are only using three types of letters).  Trying to auto-combine data into previous cell so the check can be done on this.

Issue is that this needs to be bomb proof for a colleague to use it…

Fiona

Rob Clarke
      Keymaster

Hi Fiona,

Sheets Course

Okay, so there may be a couple of ways to make it ‘bomb proof’ so others can use it. Have you seen how to protect ranges in a Sheet?

Here is a reference in case you’ve not considered this aspect…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar