Student email addresses

Home Forums Google Sheets & Forms Student email addresses

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anne Cato
      Participant

When setting up Hapara Teacher Dashboard I have all the Y3-6 students email addresses recorded in the format such as JosephH. How can I add the generic part of the school email address @stmarysrotorua.school.nz to all of the students without manually doing it. Probably a bit of a formula at top of the column on a spreadsheet  – but I don’t know how to do it. I have made a demo file here to use. Would appreciate some help if possible please. Thanks

Rob Clarke
      Keymaster

Hi Anne,

Great question – this formula is relatively easy. Here is what to type into the cell where you want the email to appear:

=lower(a2&left(b2,1)&“@stmarysrotorua.school.nz”

Notes:

• the LOWER function makes everything lower case within the enclosed brackets ().
      • A2 is the first name of the student.
      • B2 is the last name of the student.
      • the LEFT(b1,1) function identifies the characters from the left to grab from that cell, where the: “,1” makes it one character.
      • the ampersand (&) tells the formula to join something else on, in this case the text is enclosed in “double quotation” marks.

Done! Go well and have a great week ahead,

Rob

Anne Cato
      Participant

Thanks very much for this. Now I understand the process I will be able to adapt for other situations as well.

Rob Clarke
      Keymaster

Totally, it’s one of the most common formulas I use in my work.

Tumeke!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar